The West of England Combined Authority (WECA) and its constituent authorities are working together, along with North Somerset Council, to address the region’s strategic housing, planning and infrastructure needs, and will be jointly commissioning evidence to inform future development.
Spatial Development Strategy and Councils’ Local Plans
The West of England Combined Authority is developing a Spatial Development Strategy (SDS) for the area covering Bath and North East Somerset, Bristol and South Gloucestershire, in collaboration with the local councils.
This will be a high-level strategic plan; each council will also develop Local Plans, that will need to be consistent with this work.
The information gathered for Local Plans will form part of the evidence base for the West of England Spatial Development Plan (SDS) – while the SDS is not looking to identify specific locations, feedback through this process will provide understanding of the capacity and supply across the region.
Relevant links for Local Plans:
- Bath and North East Somerset Council https://beta.bathnes.gov.uk/call-site-proposals-development-helaa
- Bristol City Council https://www.bristol.gov.uk/planning-and-building-regulations/local-plan-review
- South Gloucestershire Council https://consultations.southglos.gov.uk/consult.ti/Call_for_sites_2020/consultationHome
WECA is building a contact database to keep people up to date on strategic planning in the WECA area. If you would like to be added to this list please subscribe below: (if you cannot view the embedded form, please sign up via this link http://eepurl.com/gXy_v5.
If you would like to receive updates from the Combined Authority unitary authorities on the progression of their Local Plans, you will need to be added to their Local Plan mailing lists.
- For Bath and North East Somerset, email email@example.com
- For Bristol, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For South Gloucestershire, email PlanningPolicy@southglos.gov.uk
North Somerset will be developing their Local Plan in cooperation with the WECA authorities through Duty to Cooperate arrangements. To receive information about the development of the North Somerset Local Plan, please email email@example.com