The West of England Combined Authority became the Transport Authority for the region when it was set up in 2017, taking responsibility for some operational public transport functions as well as strategic transport policy and planning. Until now the delivery of these functions has largely remained with our constituent councils.
On 1 April, our councils combined public transport resources and the delivery of these functions are now carried out directly by WECA. Working together in this way means we can achieve more to address our challenges as a region, planning public transport across council boundaries.
Staff from the three councils have transferred to WECA to form a new combined team and are responsible for public transport across the region, including delivering the following:
- Concessionary travel – administering a service providing free off-peak bus passes for older people and people with qualifying disabilities.
- Bus service information – providing bus timetable information at bus stops and data to journey planners and apps, including real-time predictions.
- Community transport – funding, advice and support for on-demand local transport services, such as dial-a-ride, community buses and voluntary car schemes.
- Supported bus services –procuring and managing bus contracts supported with public money where the service is not commercially viable.
- metrobus – managing the metrobus partnership with the operator and providing service information to iPoints.
- Travelwest– managing the travelwest website, including travel information.
We are working together to ensure that there will be no impact on public services during the transition.
For queries relating to public transport:
A new regional phone number will be put set up, but due to the Coronavirus this work has been put on hold, so please use the following numbers:
- For queries relating to public transport in Bath & North East Somerset call 01225 394041
- For queries relating to public transport in Bristol call 0117 9222910
- For queries relating to public transport in South Gloucestershire call 01454 864166
For queries relating to metrobus:
Email email@example.com or call 0117 9222910
For media queries: